Sunday, September 21, 2014

Stereotyping

Stereotypes. 

"Guys are messy and unclean."
"All Asians know Kung-Fu."
"All teenagers are rebels."
"Girls are not good at sports."
"Christians are homophobic."
"Men are the grunts of the workforce."
"Girls are only concerned about physical appearance."

Just as Brent Staples was stereotyped and thought of as "a mugger, rapist, or worse" (Staples 205), all of us fall under stereotypes and categories. Asians fall under school geniuses. Whites fall under talented sports players. Although people hate to be associated with stereotypes and all that they imply, there is simply no escaping them; studies have shown that it takes approximately less than a whole second to judge someone and place them in a mental category. These mental categories are usually impacted by society's viewpoints on certain races, religions, or gender. Because society impacts one's depiction of people, it makes sense that stereotypes change from region to region.


I'm sure that we have all met people who break the stereotype that people believe. When this happens, people are in shock. I cannot count the amount of people who have commented on my hand writing being "so much better from other boys." It's annoying. Like, my hand writing isn't that good. It's just good compared to what the people thought it should look like and that's what makes it so wtf. Just because I'm a guy doesn't mean I have ugly hand writing. Just because someone is tall doesn't mean they are mean or dangerous. And forever and ever, no matter where I go, people will always complement my handwriting because it breaks the stereotype. And every time it happens, I get reminded of how judgmental and retarded the human race really is, that we cannot stop judging or stereotyping each other no matter how hard we try.

1 comment:

  1. Although stereotyping is generally bad, having no stereotyping is probably impossible. Stereotyping is always present to classify your world, for example the stereotype that ominous clouds = rain. Not all clouds bring rain, and some clouds will probably be offended by my statement, but my point is that stereotyping is always used by people and is not always bad.

    ReplyDelete